What is off-Peak Charging?
To encourage drivers to charge their vehicles in a environmentally-conscious manner, new charge points will be defaulted to charge during off-peak hours. By doing so, drivers may benefit from cheaper off-peak energy rates, while helping the national grid to balance their supply.
- Charge points must be configured such that -
- Accept pre-set default charging hours;
- Remove pre-set default charging hours; or
- Set different charging hours
- Change or remove default charging hours, if default charging hours are in effect
- Set default charging hours if none are in effect
- It incorporates pre-set default charging hours, of which are outside peak hours
- When first used, the charge point user can do the following:
- At any time after first use, the owner is able to:
- The owner of the relevant charging point can override default mode of charging during default charging hours
- The owner of the relevant charging point is able to override the provision of demand side response services
- These requirements do not apply where -
- "contains statements that the relevant charge point complies with these Regulations and that the seller is responsible for ensuring that the relevant charge point complies with these Regulations"
- The relevant charging point is sold with a DSR (demand side response) agreement;
- The relevant charge point is configured to comply with the requirements of the DSR agreement; and
- Details of the DSR agreement are included in the statement of compliance in accordance with the requirements stated in regulation 13 paragraph (2)(b)
What does mean for EV users?
- When the user adds/registers the charger, they can:
- Accept the pre-set default charging hours;
- Remove the pre-set default charging hours;
- Change the default charging hours
- In Charger Settings/Preferences, the user can:
- Change the default charging hours if it is in effect;
- Remove the default charging hours if it is in effect;
- Set default charging hours if not set initially.
- For any Charge Point configuration done under DSR agreement can be overridden.
- Give the users who don’t initiate charging via the app the access to change the regulatory hours via hotspot (Offline)
- Users who don't initiate charging with the app have access to change regulatory hours via hotspot (offline)